Nuance Conversational Experience Designer in Burlington, Massachusetts
At Nuance, we empower people with the ability to seamlessly interact with their connected devices and the digital world around them. We are creating a world where technology thinks and acts the way people do by designing the most human, natural, and intuitive ways of interacting with technology.
Our nimble technology uses analytics and advanced algorithms to transform the inanimate into animate and reduce complicated processes into simple ones.
Join our Enterprise team…great customer service starts here. We design virtual assistants for intelligent and effortless customer service helping customers find the information they need using whatever channel they prefer.
As a User Interface Designer, you will be designing the caller experience primarily for speech-enabled applications. You will work on a multi-disciplinary team of colleagues and domain experts to discover user requirements, and to match these needs against customer goals. Among other activities, you will validate functionality choices; design intuitive and adaptive call flows; write natural, conversational, and personalized dialogs; anticipate user responses; define grammars; and direct voice talents in the recording studio. You'll perform Usability Testing with consumers to further refine functionality and design choices. As a UI Designer, you will need to learn about caller populations and work effectively with customers on each engagement, while simultaneously working toward the customer's financial goals and remaining the authority on best practices in user-centered design. Your successes will be measured by a combination of business targets you reach or surpass; your relationships with customers, partners, and the team; and the positive impression your designs leave in the minds of callers.
Principal duties and responsibilities:
• Discover and analyze requirements from both the customer's and the user’s perspective. Be the advocate for the user amid shifting and unclear business requirements.
• Create effective speech user interface designs including call flow, dialogs, functional logic, and prompts to match the established persona and caller archetype.
• Assist in implementing these designs, interacting with developers, directing voice talents, and performing usability tests.
• Analyze performance of the user interface in the field with regard to performance metrics and caller experience, and recommend specific changes to improve caller satisfaction and transaction completion.
• Use your experience on your specific projects to augment our evolving body of best practices.
• Represent our UI approach and philosophy to top Fortune 100 companies.
• Design alternative solutions, evaluating them to choose the best approach. Visualize and prototype intended solutions. Meet and collaborate with customers, users, and development partners to validate conceptual designs.
• Approach design problems with a user-centered design methodology and an understanding of best practices within Phone, Mobile, and Web applications
• Compose user flows, story maps, highly detailed artifacts using text, diagrams, illustrations, and/or prototypes to outline product, feature, and function specifications as required to best support the Software Development life cycle.
• Support ad hoc project requests that may be unrelated to customer requirements or product knowledge (e.g., preparation of workshop packages, demos, and conceptual mock-ups).
• Facilitate presentations and discussions with customers, users, and developers to drive resolution on proposed features and functionality.
• Partner closely with development team to drive successful implementation of product design specifications. Proactively resolve any implementation issues that affect the design, downstream processes, and overall experience.
• Maintain familiarity with other company products and competitive products to ensure thought and design leadership
• BS/BA or equivalent experience in human factors engineering, linguistics, product interface design, cognitive psychology, technical writing, or a related field
Minimum years of work experience: 1-3 yrs
• Creativity, strong logic skills, and the ability to work in a dynamic, innovative, and consultative environment
• Native-level English fluency
• Strong Microsoft Windows skills, including MS Office
• Strong communication skills and the ability to develop and confidently deliver polished presentations to customers and internal teams
• Availability to travel on-site with customers up to 15%
• Perform tasks related to securing and keeping the products, tools, and processes that you are responsible for securing
• Speech recognition software and/or telephony experience
• Experience with Natural Language Voice User Interface design
• Demonstrable audio engineering experience
• Professional writing experience
• Experience working in a recording studio, as or with a professional voice talent
• Experience creating UI/UX for iPhone and Android a plus – understanding mobile design patterns and their application when creating UI task flows and artifacts
• Adobe Illustrator / Photoshop or equivalent vector-editing experience
Nuance offers a compelling and rewarding work environment. We offer market competitive salaries, bonus, equity, benefits, meaningful growth and development opportunities and a casual yet technically challenging work environment. Join our dynamic, entrepreneurial team and become part of our continuing success.
Nuance Communication Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster and its supplement is available here. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call 781-565-5086 – Human Resources Department and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
External Company URL: http://www.nuance.com/