Intercept Pharmaceuticals Senior Director, US Value and Pricing Strategy in New York, New York
At Intercept, our mission is to build a healthier tomorrow for patients with progressive non-viral liver diseases.Intercept’s lead product, Obeticholic Acid (OCA), is a potent first-in-class farnesoid X receptor (FXR) agonist. OCA, marketed under the brand name “Ocaliva,” is approved in the U.S., EU and Canada for use in primary biliary cholangitis (PBC), a rare autoimmune liver disease. OCA is also being investigated as a treatment for nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) and primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC).
In February 2019, Intercept reported positive topline results from the Phase 3 REGENERATE study of OCA in patients with liver fibrosis due to NASH. REGENERATE is the first and largest Phase 3 study in NASH – a chronic disease that threatens the lives of millions of people in the U.S. alone. By 2020, NASH is expected to overtake hepatitis C as the leading cause of liver transplants in the U.S. Currently, there are no available treatments for NASH, and Intercept is among the leading companies focused on the disease.
Based on the positive results from REGENERATE, Intercept intends to file for regulatory approval in the U.S. and EU in the second half of this year. This is an exciting time for Intercept, as the organization prepares for a potential approval and launch in NASH. As part of this effort, Intercept is beginning to build a new commercial organization, and this opportunity in Talent Acquisition will play a pivotal role in preparing the company for the successful launch of OCA’s second indication.
As a key member of the US Marketing team, the Senior Director of Value and Pricing Strategy will be responsible for the development of the US Value and Pricing Strategy for current and future OCA indications. This position will build these strategies based on clinical and economic evidence, value proposition generation, and primary and secondary research insights. The position will also be responsible for developing and implementing pipeline pricing strategy and value messaging that will be compelling to US payers and health systems. This position will work to ensure cross-functional alignment between Strategic Marketing, US Market Access, International Market Access, Policy, Finance, Medical Affairs, and Medical Research. The role reports to the Vice President of US Marketing with a dotted line to the Vice President of US Market Access.
This role will inevitably grow and adapt as priorities change, but will likely include many or all the following responsibilities:
• Develop US market value and pricing strategies, which is aligned to the over-arching brand strategy, for current and future OCA indications which both optimizes brand value and ensures access to OCA for the appropriate patient• Develop a payer research plan and distills payer insights to ensure value strategies are robust and validated, and transparently balance opportunity and risk• Develop pricing, value and access scenarios to address market evolution, guideline changes, new diagnostic tests, competitive launches and pipeline opportunities to ensure OCA access is sustainable across key US payer archetypes, including Integrated Delivery Networks (IDNs)• Provide US pricing and access inputs to the Global Brand Team, ensuring the US managed care environment is fully incorporated into brand strategy• Collaborate with Market Access to develop core value and access launch materials to support the US market (e.g., pricing policy, value pack, value messages, payer launch collateral), taking into account key payer archetypes• Collaborate with International Access team and Medical Research to ensure all core economic modelling (burden of disease, cost effectiveness, budget impact) fully incorporate US payer needs• Collaborate with Medical Research and Publications team to develop and implement managed care publication plan that supports brand strategy• Work with US Market Access and Corporate Affairs to develop plans to support appropriate policy initiatives• Act as a strong and visible leader in the importance of good business conduct and adherence with applicable laws, regulations, rules and codes• Drive the spirit of ONE Team across all functions by supporting a team approach to focus on our patients and customers as our top priorities
• Minimum of 10 years of pharmaceutical/biotechnology experience in managed care, pricing HEOR, marketing and key accounts
• Conducted extensive pricing research and executed launch price strategies and tactics
• Strong familiarity with US market access landscape, including various payer types and models
• Specialty product launch experience, preferably in first-to-market disease states
• Career path that exhibits increased responsibility and leadership
• Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree highly preferred
• Ideally has therapeutic experience in liver, metabolic and/or cardiovascular disease
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES
• Ability to lead in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to think in the big picture, while also being disciplined and detail-oriented
• Ability to put innovation in to action
• Is regarded as a proactive, supportive and collaborative partner
• Ability to establish trust-based relationships with key external stakeholders
• Strong analytical skills to be able to do conduct both qualitative and quantitative assessments
• Ability to operate effectively in an evolving organizational structure with minimal direction
• Ability to engage and influence multiple stakeholders to achieve the objective, often without direct authority
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills
• Learning agility and ‘scalability’ to take on increasing responsibility as Intercept grows
• Consistent demonstration and embodiment of company core values: Collaboration, Excellence, Innovation, Integrity, Passion, Patient/Stakeholder Centricity; is a champion of the “ONE Team” spirit
• Ability to have fun!
Keyword: Senior Director, US Value and Pricing Strategy
From: Intercept Pharmaceuticals